Sunday, February 1, 2009

Assignment 4 - Photoshop tennis

After becoming masters of Google Sketchup over the past two weeks, we have moved onto photoshop. Each of us got paired up with a partner to play a game called 'photoshop tennis'. First, we took our sculptures from last week and put them onto a new background to give them some context. I took my courtyard and added a piece of it to a photo I took while in China in the summer of 2006:



[original photo]


[My 'serve' to Rachel]

Then we uploaded them onto the class fileserver for our assigned partner to play with. Rachel took my file and added some color to the cones and the windows of the skyscraper, a woman on her bike, and some transparency to the flags:


[Rachel's volley back to me]

Then i finished it off with another adjustment to change the scene once more. I took four pictures from online databases called everystockphoto.com and stock.XCHNG and used them to bring in a new foreground, a new sky, some fire and a new bike. These websites are great resources for finding free photos that you can use in your own work, with specific licensing agreements to each photo. If you click on the links you will find the authors of these photos and their original work. This was our final result:


[match point]

5 comments:

  1. Really nice! I like this series of perspectives a lot. There is a nice sequence of development. This is a good example of your high competence level with digital media and your eye for composition. Being a personal fan of urban decay, I really enjoyed the last perspective with the rubble in the foreground.

    Doug

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really nice! I like this series of perspectives a lot. There is a nice sequence of development. This is a good example of your high competence level with digital media and your eye for composition. Being a personal fan of urban decay, I really enjoyed the last perspective with the rubble in the foreground.

    Doug

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nick,

    This sequence is really priceless. Both you and Amelie did a great job. I really appreciate the post-Armageddon chaos for the final. There's something about the burning bike that looks WAY too real!

    When I shoot the sequel to Independence Day, you are hired!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. The strongest aspects of your assignment are the use of perspectives and the consistent drop in the lighting building up to that final image.

    You could improve this work by perhaps increasing the opacity on the red sculptures. If they are glass I would expect them to be more destroyed.

    I would like to know more about what happen to the girl on the bike. Her mother is worried sick. And where did you get the image for the demolished bike?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nick, these are awesome. I didn't know about your destructive streak. The broken up pylons are great, they look really blended in.

    It seems like as the progression went on, the woman in front seems to be less and less realistic. Maybe because she's so calmly walking along?


    I love the way the silt built up on the debris. Maybe you could do my assignment for me next week? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete