Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Part 1 - How does the architectural education emphasize communication?

Taken from the application:
"This fellowship derives from an endowment created to provide support for graduate students with financial need who are pursuing studies that emphasize communication, especially writing skills."
So the first question I have to answer is, how does the architectural education emphasize communication (to someone who has never been a part of it), and how can I explain it quickly enough to allow room for my academic plans in the same 1-page essay? Here goes nothing...
The architectural education emphasizes a limited, albeit effective approach to communication. We are formally taught how to express 'architectural' ideas to our potential clients using a handful of architectural tools and graphic expressions. This is fine if the discipline retains the narrowly defined role it has built a reputation around. But architects do not always play this role. Increasingly they have more responsibility and incentive to reevaluate their roles, and more importantly to change the general public's perception of those roles in the pursuit of a better built (or non-built) environment. Architects are taking a more active role in their relationships with clients. They are using their skills as problem solvers and extending their reach to become problem identifiers. To do this, they need to be experts of communication - not just of traditional 'architectural' communication, but of communication to a vastly diverse and ever changing audience - in order to help make more informed, better educated decisions about the implications of their actions. 
Does this even make sense to people who are not currently heavily entrenched in the architectural education? It feels like I am taking the last year and a half of observations about our education and pinning them down to one paragraph. I have no idea if everything else in my head is making this appear successful to me, or if it really does convey the information I want it to (ha! this is a small representation of the most essential skill we are being taught; how to absorb an overflow of information and communicate it effectively to a given audience).

3 comments:

  1. I haven't read the email comments yet, so forgive me if I'm repetitive. My question concerns sentence #4 ("Increasingly they have more responsibility and incentive...") As someone not immersed in the field, I want to know why. What has changed to make architects take more responsibility? What are the increasing incentives?

    (And a nit-picky comment, replace the word "fine" in sentence 3 with something a bit more formal, such as "adequate"...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. architectural education should be based on a multi-disciplinary perspective, a systems thinking approach to the way we open dialogues. It is also not about just communicating anymore, but about learning, asking and teaching in our dialogues, in school and practice. Take for example the company of Futerra, in Ldn and NYC, they do sustainable communications......thats the future of communocation

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary - Right. I need to make that more clear, especially to the audience I am trying to reach. And you are right about "fine", i didn't like it when I used it - so i'm glad you said something. I will be posting an update tonight. Thanks so much for the feedback!

    Anna Maria - Great point. I haven't mentioned the interdisciplinary nature of our education yet. I will take a look at Futerra, and i'm working on a response to your wonderful email :)

    ReplyDelete