Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Final Media Review

This summer term is broken down into three classes, one is studio, one is a special studies class and one is a media class. The media class consisted of daily water coloring class as well as individual lessons from two of our professors. We had our final on Monday and we were expected to have about 14 completed paintings. 

One of the main reasons I chose to come here was to develop my water coloring. After spending about 6 weeks focusing on it last summer I knew I would not get much better unless I dedicated a large chunk of time to it. I have been a little frustrated because I am not improving as fast as I wanted, but we are only half way into the trip and I think I am starting to see signs of the improvement I was looking for. 

I took pictures of all the work I showed at our final which you can see if you click here

They chose 3 paintings from everyone to show at school in the fall and these are the 3 they chose of mine:

We made this stop on the way back from Nara


This is a view of the Katsura River in Arashiyama. This place is so beautiful when the sun goes down. My friend Caitlin let me borrow her camera and take some pictures after I painted:



Caitlin working on a masterpiece!



This one is on the way up to the top of a mountain that overlooks Kyoto. 



I knew I would enjoy water coloring, but I also want to be better at freehand sketching, so I have been trying to capture some of these places with quick sketches. I really enjoy the way these have been developing:


This one is inside our temple complex at night


The temple garden at Kongbuji - in Koyosan


This is my favorite of all the work I have done here. I used my ink pen, a little bit of water, and then added some color at the end. It is at the entrance of Daishen-In.






1 comment: