Monday, July 21, 2008

road trip highlights/pics

Hey Everyone!

I figured I would get caught up on the past month with some photos and highlights, starting with the road trip with Kaitlin. After postponing our start date a few days, we finally left on Saturday the 14th and drove all the way to South Bend Indiana. By Wednesday we had stopped in South Dakota, Wyoming, and Idaho, and had seen Mt. Rushmore, the Badlands-National Park, Yellowstone, and a whole lot of nothing in between.

We took the northern route as opposed to going straight across on I-80 because there had been major storms in Iowa. I took that route in my high school road trip, and this one was MUCH more interesting. The scenery was much different and more varied, except for stupid Minnesota which was the most boring state ever. We drove through the Big Horn Mountains in Wyoming which was so beautiful. I remember thinking while we were at the peak, surrounded by snow and watching a group of Moose (or Elk i'm not sure), that no matter what my experience in Eugene was going to be like, the drive was definitely worth it. Also the weather was great for most of the journey, except for a terrible storm in Chicago which kept us from seeing much of the skyline or the city in general.

Awards that Kaitlin and I gave to the states included:
Ohio - best and most frequent rest stops
Wyoming - best landscape
Wisconsin - best cheese (duh)
Minnesota - worst state. ever (except for the abundance of wind turbines).

So that's it for now. Check out some of the pictures I took along the way, and hopefully in a few days I will post some more blogs to catch you all up on Eugene, Grad School, and definitely our field trip to Portland and Mt. Hood. Love you all and hope everyone is having a great summer!

love,
nick


No comments:

Post a Comment